Monday, February 24, 2014

Ice Skating!

Hey again!

So it dawned on me that in yesterday's post I didn't even mention another major thing that happened in February: the Sochi Winter Olympics!!

Not that we did anything more than watch some events on TV in the evening, but it's still nice to mark every 4 years with The Games. For the last Winter Olympics, we were still in the house on Grant Circle, and I got really into the Kim/Asada figure skating rivalry. As with last time, my favorite event was figure skating, though I did find myself forced to watch a lot of men's downhill skiing. Heh!

Once Dash got back from his trip away, it became our little ritual to plant ourselves on the sofas in the living room, turn on The Games, and watch from 9pm - 11pm (@_@), chatting, and playing a little handheld game tagteam style during the commercials. We'd also bust out some kind of sweet or salty snack accompanied with beer, too. Aaaw, yeaaaah~ :D

Though not that classy or anything, regular alone time like this does wonders for our relationship.
So now that the Olympics are officially over, I hope we can keep up some kind of activity that nourishes our relationship, no matter how white-trashy it may seem. Ha!

Anyway, another thing that the Olympics brought about was a fascination in Ella Rose with figure skating. Not that she stayed up that late to watch the performances with us (we tried to rouse her once because she'd asked us to, but she was quite resistant), but after watching a few clips off Youtube, she started saying things like "I want to take skating lessons."

Lessons? Well, I can't promise that but I thought it'd be nice to take her and William to a rink to dip her toes in! Which is precisely what we did this past Sunday.

Pardon the terrible angle. Ella assembled her outfit in the spirit of Elsa, the Snow Queen
The last time Ella was on the ice was just about two years ago, when she was 2.5 and we went to New Hartford to spend Christmas with my family before William was born. She was so unafraid and took to the ice smashingly, that I guess I assumed the same of her brother (even though he's a good year younger than she'd been, oops!)

So yeah, the nearest rink is in Eugene (gack!) and Public Session is only from 12:15 to 1:45 on Saturdays and Sundays. So I didn't have that much time to acclimate William who ended up in my arms the whole time.

Ella, on the other hand, was quite happy and trusting even when we left the wall.

They had some really nice skates at the facility!

But one unhappy child can make for a difficult outing, so the already-short skating time was further reduced because I couldn't put William down but I also couldn't hold him that long with those jabbing skates. Thanks for being so patient with your brother, Ella Rose!

I don't know if I will be doing this again soon, at least not without another adult in the name of Dash. Of maybe I'll leave the boys home and hit the ice, just me 'n' Ella. :)

Either way, it was enlightening to get on the ice and try to merely stay upright, after having watched those great Olympian skaters positively fly across the ice. Indeed, what they make look so easy is not at all! Kudos to all their hard work and for mesmerizing us with their performances.

That is all for now.
Have you guys ever gone to the Eugene Ice Center?
Would you be interested in joining us so Ella can have a friend to hold hands with? :)

Hope you having a great start to your week and until next time, take care and Happy Ice Skating!

No comments:

Post a Comment