Saturday, October 10, 2009

Sushi Party!!!!

Just wanted to let you know, this past weekend, our fabulous friends, Kae & Seishiro Hokazono, put on the most incredible sushi dinner!! Along with our boarder, Nori, the ever-entertaining couple from Russia, Artures & Nastia, and two children under two, I'd say it was a night to remember!
There was good music, amusing stories told, and the most amazing temakizushi 手巻き寿司 (hand-rolled sushi) to be had!

Just look at that spread!


There had to be at least 15 different ingredients with which to grace our seaweed and rice foundations. I always prided myself on how I averaged at about 14 plates at your typical 回転寿し (rotating sushi) joint, but that night...I don't even know how many sushi I wrapped up and stuffed myself with! Below are some photo highlights of some faves:

This bowl contained a mixture primarily consisting of the meat nearest the spine of the fish (血合い I believe it's called~?). Anyway, it was delicious!! And the texture was just perfect for adding to the sticky rice and flaky seaweed sheet.


And what's sushi without salmon and crab?? Look at that dish! Gorgeous!!


Some boiled squid. Mm-MM! Caught by Artures, the fisherman, too! What an amazing skill, it impresses me to know end -- knowing the ins and outs of sealife like that~

Last but not least...egg! But not just any egg. It's the wonderfully sweetened and oh-so-fluffy egg that works wonders in the mouth when accompanied by some slightly salty sticky rice + seaweed wrap. Mm-MM. One of my personal faves. Plus since it tends to be on the cheapest plates at 回転寿し bwa ha ha...

Kae is an incredible chef. Can you believe she prepared all this herself?? And she's so dedicated to good work and taste that she started working on it all the night before! Such vigor and ability to balance all the different tastes -- especially when dealing with ingredients that will be raw!
Truly, a feat. m(_ _)m

No comments:

Post a Comment