Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Wool Diaper Cover "Soaker"

This post is very long-overdue, as I completed this project back on March 1st.
So now, behold! Ella's first 100% wool diaper cover handknit by Mama with love~


I got the pattern for free off of Ravelry here~!

There are a couple of reasons why it took so long for me to finally put this up.

1) I'd been hoping to catch Ella on video with it on while she walked, to hit two birds with one stone and post about how she can now walk! As of the end of her 9th month, back in January, to be precise. But Daddy is far better about catching things on video than me, so I just settled for a crappy Photobooth shot. Sorry!!

2) I wasn't happy with the finished product at first and had written it off as a failure that wasn't worth blogging about. The leg holes seemed too tight while the waistband ribbing seemed too loose. But after taking Celeste's advice of wetting and then stretching the leg holes around a yogurt container overnight, they fit much better.:)

Since Ella's birth, we've only used cloth diaper covers and plastic diaper covers to keep the wetness from wicking onto her clothes (or us). But not until I finally stumbled across a wool diaper cover in a second hand store in January did I realize "omigod, they can be made of wool too! And knit for that matter!"

I felt so enlightened, but sorta disappointed that I hadn't known about these sooner...
But, oh well! It took a while to pick my wool and pattern and then of course complete the pattern, but it was worth it!
They feel so nice on her and smell much better too -- even after a major pee-pee from Ella, they don't smell bad the way the plastic ones do.

This is diaper cover #1 of what I hope to eventually be 4 total...
Wish me luck! Though I know I have plenty of motivation from Ella too.
Remember: Ella is always watching you!!

1 comment: