Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Perez-Guerri Recipe for Mayonnaise

I love mayonnaise, don't you? ♡♡♡

And I figured it's about time I feature my favorite family recipe, passed down from my grandmother's side, for homemade mayo!

The ingredients are quite simple and only require the following:


The amounts are as follows:

  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp vinegar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp dry mustard
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • 1 C vegetable oil
And the steps are even simpler:

1) Put all ingredients into blender except for oil

2) Add 1-2 tbsp of oil and beat

3) Keep beating while adding the rest of oil sloooowly until it firms into a mayo-ish consistency

This really only takes a couple of minutes.
If you use the kind of blender that has a hole in the center of the lid, through which you can pour the oil slowly.

But I use a Magic Bullet, which means I have to turn it off, unscrew, add oil, rescrew, beat again, and repeat. A little timely, but I gotta work with what I got. {:)

But I digress.
When you first start beating the mixture, it will be very liquidy and orangish thanks to the paprika:


After about 1/2 C of the oil has been added, it'll start to get that nice lighter whipped mayo look:


Finally, I dollop the mayo into a jar and ta-dah! All done~


This recipe makes a little over 1/2 pint of mayo.
Mm-mm and enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. I still have all the makings for this since the first time you tried to convince me to do it. Dry mustard seed and all that jazz. Now that I've confirmed that I can also use red wine vinegar instead of white, I can make it!!

    ReplyDelete