Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Harvest! ...And Loss ;_;

Hola, hola~

Just wanted to pop in really quick with some gardening updates.
Firstly, our grapes!!
We have a grape vine in the front of our house that is who-knows-how-old and produces grapes every year and in a pretty good amount.
Today, Dash reminded me that it was time to go out and harvest us some grapes so here are the results:

Most are green, but we appear to have a purple variety too!

And tomorrow I will cook them down, and dehydrate them into fruit leather. Yum!! I will let you know how that goes later.

The stemming part of the process is a breeze~

Also, a wee bit of sad news.
Ella Rose was playing by herself outside for a while, and I thought for sure she was just in the general back yard. But when she came inside, she happily announced "Mama, I picked some lettuce for you and they were so easy to pull up!" @_@
Indeed, she had with her a bucket full of my lettuce plants -- roots and all. ;_;
She picked twelve of them!!

For those of you who don't know, lettuce plants can produce for a good long time by cutting the leaves off and letting them grow back...not pulling the whole plant up in one go. >_<
So yeah...
I didn't react as gracefully as I'd have liked to. I was just so shocked and saddened and disappointed, I let her know in no uncertain terms. Which, of course, made her sad... ;_; ;_;

But after a few deep breaths and alone time with my garden to reassure myself that there are at least a couple of plants left that we can eat from, I came back and apologized for being less-than-nice to her. I mean, she was only trying to help, you know? I wish I could be the kind of mom that laughs at antics like that, but I guess I feel too attached to my garden. Next time, I will try to take something like that more in stride, and remember that first and foremost her heart was in the right place.

Anyway, now we've got a whole big salad in store for dinner!

Yummy!!

And Ella Rose also promised to help eat it along with us (she does not usually eat leafy greens), so we'll see how that goes!

Well, that is all for now.
I hope you are all enjoying the fruits of your spring/summertime gardening labor and are eating lots of good veggies these days.
Until next time, Happy Harvests -- and even Losses too!

1 comment: