Thursday, December 16, 2010

Christmas Cookies

Hey, all.
How has your month been going?
Knee-deep in that Holiday energy yet? :)

I'm really excited, because I just partook in a activity that is commonplace for many of you, I'm sure, but was a first for me.
Decorating Christmas cookies!


I can't boast as to any "fine craftsmanship" -- after all, most of these were "designed" by three toddlers and their parents who were trying to juggle their kids in one hand and sprinkle cookies with the other.

I also can't claim credit for coming up with the idea. It's all thanks to my lovely friend, Tracy, and her beautiful family who so generously invited us to what turned out to be the most fun-filled evening of the season so far! :)


They may not have that store-bought picture-perfect look, but where else do you get to find a gingerbread cookie with a big ol' Hershey Kiss plopped right in the center?

It's interesting how as of having Ella Rose and staying home more as a freelancer, activities like this have become so precious -- for the moments they create for us, the memories I hope to instill in Ella, and the DIY aspect in general!
I never considered myself as having a "deprived childhood" or anything like that...but as I raise my own daughter and cultivate a more solid grasp on the kind of home I want to create, I realize how much I might have actually missed out on! The simple traditions of making popcorn garlands for the tree...decorating Christmas cookies...heck, creating anything for that matter. What's so common for many of the folks I've come to meet, was completely nonexistent in my own childhood. I think that's why the DIY movement appeals to me so much. I felt so hopeless when I left home -- I didn't even know how to cook spaghetti!
So, finally 10 years later, I am adamant to learn as much as I can to make myself more self-reliant and pass on that knowledge to Ella Rose, little by little.


Cookie decorating may not be crucial for survival or anything, but it's nice knowing how to fix a truly unique batch of cookies that you'd never find the supermarket. ;)

Well, Happy Cookie Decorating (and eating!!)
I'll be seeing you again soon, I'm sure~ ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment