Sunday, October 6, 2013

Clothing Swap - Results!

Hey all!

So I have more news regarding the Clothing Swap that happened yesterday.

Firstly...we made it on the front page of the local newspaper, The Gazette-Times!
Here is a link to the online version of the story.

Okay, technically the front page was a little blurb about the swap...and then the entire last page of Section A (A10) was dedicated to it! Awesome!!
The story was accurate and positive and the photos were great! There was even a hilarious shot of my friend Susanna trying on a bra over her clothes -- so glad that got into both the online and print edition of the newspaper!! :D It really encompassed the spirit of the event -- goofy, clothing-fueled fun!!
I am going to cut out the story and pin it on my inspiration board upstairs to remember the good times. Yay! :)

The other thing I'd like to talk about regarding the event is why I enjoy cloth swapping so much in the first place:

1) Easy on the wallet
That's a pretty "duh" reason, but one that should be mentioned nonetheless. I would rather spend my money on good quality food rather than clothes in a store when we all know there are tons of clothes sitting in mounds, stuffed in drawers, and overflowing out of closets in so many people's homes. So why not just take advantage of that, while lightening the load of the donors both physically and mentally~? (I truly believe that clutter like that -- like any, really -- can really bog a person down mentally...and sometimes they are not even aware of it! Though I definitely can feel it when it happens to my home~)

2) Easy on the environment
There were no sales tags or courtesy store bags involved in the procuring of these clothes. Because they are second-hand, all the initial manufacturing/transportation/etc has played its role just once, and doesn't need to be repeated by my giving it a new home. My consumption of these clothes does not necessarily deem that more clothes be produced -- that is to say: they did not result in an empty space on the store shelf that needs to be filled up with a new order. 

3) Keeps me honest
When I get home with my Clothing Swap loot it makes me reassess the state of my wardrobe. What do I honestly still wear? Do I really even like every piece of my wardobe? What has been sitting in the drawer for that "one appropriate event" that never came? Or that came and I opted for one of my usuals to go in? By giving it a good hard look, I don't hold onto clothes indefinitely while grasping onto some vain hope that "Maybe I'll be that size someday!" or "But I might need in case (insert unlikely scenario) comes up!"

4) Keeps me free
Because I did not make a monetary investment into any of my clothes, I am not terribly attached to them. I don't mind if they get sullied or worn out. I am okay to see them go eventually. It would not be as vexing if I were to lose any of them either through forgetfulness or to the tragedy of a major spill or other mishap. Maybe some would interpret that to mean that I don't care for my clothes, but don't get me wrong -- I'll clean a stain and mend a hole as best as I can -- but I definitely do not get bent out of shape over it, or take way too many precautions when wearing them like not getting down on my hands and knees with the kids or braving the wet NW weather.
By this point, nearly every article of clothing in my closet was either gifted to me, procured at a Clothing Swap, bought for cheap at a thrift store/garage sale, or even found on the street (no joke).

But there is one piece that I can think of that was before I opened my eyes to second-hand goodness, and it is something I bought at a Ren Faire some years back for literally $300+. @_@ Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely piece...but it's not necessarily something I love nor is it completely functional or sometimes even comfortable -- but it is the lingering memory of that price tag and the money I put down for that keeps me from letting it go. Is that silly or what? And yet, it's the truth. Until I can find a person or cause to give it to, I have a major hang-up about this article of clothing...and all because I feel tethered to it for the "investment" I made in it all those years back. Go figure! :P

5) Fun
Really, the whole day is a mix of maximum alertness to look out for everyone's needs (as well as find some pieces for me) and just reveling in the energy of the place -- mamas-to-be perusing the baby table for their future bundle-of-joy's wardrobe; old friends running into each other; little kids running around and trying on clothes that are novel and therefore totally awesome to them, etc etc.

As I mentioned in the post I made on the Spring Clothing Swap, you should consider holding a clothing swap of your own that you invite your friends to. Even small intimate clothing swaps are fun and can have fantastic results.
If you do hold a Swap of your own, will you promise to tell me about it? I want to hear how it went! :)

Well, that is all for now.
Sorry there are no pictures -- it is late, but I am sure I will take photos of some new ensembles my updated wardobe has to offer soon :)

I have just finished putting away all my new pieces and in the process filled a garbage bag of items that mainly had to do with Point 3 (see above). Tomorrow, I hope to have Ella do the same thing, because oh Lordy Bigordy, the girl has at least two dozen dresses -- does one little girl really need that many?? We shall see~ ;)

Until next time, take care and Happy Clothing Swap Results!!

No comments:

Post a Comment