Thursday, October 10, 2013

Tutoring...Barter Style

Hey again, all~

So I'm sure many of you know that my main career is as a Japanese translator.
But did you also know that I tutor the language?

I've been doing it fairly consistently since...I wanna say 2007?
My first "student" was my girlfriend back in L.A. :)

And recently, I've taken on two students who have to be the most brilliant tutees I've ever had!
ジュナイス and マーリー are enthusiastic teenagers who are quick learners and love anime/manga, so we totally relate with each other and our lessons are very fun.

But best of all...in accordance to Gift Economy-esque standards...I've arranged it with their parents so that in place of traditional cash exchange, I am repaid for my lessons with services!
ジュナイス's mom agreed to babysit both kids for date nights (buya), and マーリー's mom is a massage therapist! Scoooore!!

Solace Care Massage & Wellness Center LLC

I just had my second massage from her just this past Wednesday and it was gloooorious.
I would highly recommend her services, as she includes heated stones and cupping in her sessions too! Hurray!! :D

This arrangement is so nice because even if I were paid in money, I probably wouldn't have the discipline to use it on regular date nights and massage sessions, so this way I skip the middle step and go straight to something I really ought to be doing for my marriage and myself. :)

I can't say that I'll always opt for service-over-money arrangements with future tutees as well, but in this case for sure it is working out lovely.

Well, that's all I wanted to say for today.
Do you do anything barter-style with your services?
If so, do share!
 
Until next time, take care and Happy Tutoring Barter Style!
And last but not least!!
For good measure, some recent photos of William (courtesy of Rachel!):

Pretty in pink~ And he looks tickled pink, eh? Eh?? :D

I just love his scrunched up happy faces~~

No comments:

Post a Comment