Thursday, October 3, 2013

DIY Play Dough

Hello again everybody!

Goodness, what a long absence! >_@
Remember that big project I mentioned in the last post or so?
Well, although I enjoy the challenging nature of it...it is also eating up quite a bit of my time!
Today is the first day in a while where I did something with the kids that really felt worthy of posting about.
And it's not even all that worthy -- ha!

It's homemade play dough.
I have been meaning to make this stuff for nearly a year now! But what always held me back was the "cream of tartar" ingredient that so many recipes call for.
Not only do I not have something like that on-hand in my kitchen, but I don't even know what it is!

So today I finally Googled "cream of tartar substitute in homemade playdough", and voila! A recipe came up that fit just right. This is the recipe we followed to make this:

Of course we had to make each color of the rainbow ;)

It was so easy and all the ingredients are so cheap!
At first, I was afraid it was going to leave oil on my hands, but after handling it enough -- especially when applying the food coloring -- that greasy feeling went away and all that was left was a lovely smooth softness. Mmm...

Our system for applying the colors: make a dent, squeeze out drops, roll around!

Ella Rose had been asking for play dough these days after watching a couple episodes of "BabyTV: Art & Music" off of Netflix. I gotta say, I appreciate how it shows viewers art-in-the-making. There is a "Clay World" segment (all of 4 minutes long, I'm sure) where someone's hands builds a little scene, be it a zoo, a farm, or a park all out of clay. Complete with little people and animals! That is apparently Ella's favorite part.

So now we have our own play dough to make such art with too!
The first thing Ella made was a pair of rainbow snails...but I failed to take a photo of it! Sorry!! ;_;

Oh well, I'm sure there will be much art in the Dashiell home with our new set of play dough, so I will catch it next time~ ;)

That is all for now.
I have also been busy preparing for the next Clothing Swap which is going to be even bigger and better than before...so look forward to a post about that very soon!

Until next time, take care and Happy DIY Play Dough!

No comments:

Post a Comment