Sunday, June 16, 2013

Raspberries~

Hi again!

Along the same lines as yesterday's post, I'd like to share with you another source of free food.
In particular, raspberries.

Yummmm~
That's right, my most favorite berry of all!
I get my annual fix of raspberries from a particular bush located outside a student rental in the neighborhood.
I've been doing this every summer that we've lived here and made pies and smoothies out of them, as well as eaten them fresh and frozen them for enjoyment later in the year. This year, I started hitting the bush about a week ago, and been visiting it for little harvests every other day or so. Even with William and Ella in tow, it can be a productive and fun visit. :)

There are so many properties around town that have fruit-bearing bushes or trees out in front (between the sidewalk and the street, often times) where the owners/residents of the property seem to have forgotten the fruit is even there! Apples grow slowly but surely all summer, finally reaching peak ripeness in September...only to go unpicked and fall to the ground to rot. Same with walnuts, I've noticed too.

And it's no different for this particular raspberry bush. The berries reach perfect ripeness in mid-June when students are focusing on their finals, graduation, and packing up to ship out. But it's pretty evident to me that the bush goes untended all year long as it is super overgrown and never cut back.
Regardless, the berries on it are scrumptious and juicy. So I like to think of myself as saving these berries from having to go unpicked and then simply rot away.

I think I can still look forward to at least another week of raspberry-picking from this bush, and besides eating them fresh (William will eat a good cupful in one sitting), I think I'd like to experiment with making popsicles with them...

What's your opinion on picking produce by the roadside?
And what's your favorite berry? ;)

Til next time, take care and Happy Raspberries!

No comments:

Post a Comment