Sunday, March 31, 2013

Another book read!

Howdy, howdy

So I just finished this book in less than a week!
Thank you, Nana, for being the kids' main playmate these days, thereby giving me time to actually kick back and consume a book.
That, plus the book was all of 144 pages. Teeny tiny.



The book is called "Put Your Life on a Diet: Lessons Learned from Living in 140 Square Feet" by Gregory Paul Johnson.
I was intrigued because I'm on a bit of a minimalism kick (thanks to Kathy) and came across it while browsing the "self-help/simplicity" section of the library.

Mr. Johnson definitely made good points on how simple living is better for you, your community, and the world in general...though it didn't necessarily teach me anything I didn't already know. He talks about shrinking your utility bill by saving water and turning off the lights, etc etc. and the health benefits of opting for a bicycle over a car. All stuff that I know and (try to) live by. But there were definitely some gold nuggets mixed in with all the "heard this before" material.

One thing it really re-inspired me to get even more serious about being car-free. He shares a story of something his father told him which was pretty much "it takes less time to get from Des Moines to Iowa City by bike than by car". When his son, Gregory Johnson, asks him how this can be, his father points out that nobody considers all the time and energy it takes to acquire a car in the first place. All the hours it takes to work a job to earn the money needed to afford the car to then be able to take your trip from De Moines to Iowa City. A bicycle costs a fraction of a car, so you can be on your way in far less time. And so, it can take less time in the long run to go by bike than by car in many situations.
I liked that little story and the point that the father made.
"Put Your Life on a Diet" talked a lot about stuff like that -- your life energy vs. financial gains dichotomy. He mentions this book "Your Money Or Your Life" by Vicki Robin too, which I just checked out of the library! I'm going to read that next.

Apparently, I'm on something of an economics kick. Because I'm also reading "Radical Homemakers: Reclaiming Domesticity from a Consumer Culture" by Shannon Hayes. I feel that the title says it all, but it really has me pumped about trying to detach myself from standard economic spending practices to save money or at least divert it to causes that I believe in (local economy, etc). Fascinating!

So there you have it.
A couple of books that I am interested in and would recommend.
"Put Your Life on a Diet" is good for a quick read and if you need to refresh your goals of a simpler life, and it doesn't make you feel like you should be living in 140 square feet. Just working toward something like that ;)

Anyway, take care and I hope you have time to read too -- it feels great!
Until next time, Happy Book reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment