Thursday, April 4, 2013

Peach Blossom Preschool

Greetings friends,

So, since I last wrote in my blog, the weather has soured a bit which has put a damper on my mood. I guess I get a little ahead of myself when the sun peeks out. I assume it's here to stay! Alas, it looks like we are in for at least a week of rain and clouds. Boooooo. >_< So quickly my hopes are raised and then dashed. Phooie.

But!
Today we still had some cheer, of the indoors variety.
That's right. At Ella Rose's preschool, the whole class took part in celebrating her 4th Birthday.
Really, that makes it feel like three parties she's had for her birthday this past week.
The one on Saturday, then Easter was full of merrymaking in general with an egg hunt and all that, and then today's. Phew! I personally look forward to a return of the ordinary mellow rhythms of our life.

And I'd like to take the opportunity here to share with you Ella Rose's preschool.
It's called Peach Blossom and it's headed by a lovely woman named Miss Christine who has a way with the children the likes of which I have never seen. The philosophy behind her teachings and the general workings of her school are grounded in Waldorf. For those of you unfamiliar with the Waldorf education model, I would briefly summarize it as a style of learning that incorporates a lot of art, a lot of nature, and at a pace that is considerate of a child's developmental stage (generally a little more slowed down than the "more! sooner!" model that a lot of American schools are adopting). I first learned about it from one of Dash's friends while on our honeymoon and it really struck a chord with me, that has left me in love with it ever since.

Peach Blossom (like all things Waldorf) follows a beautiful respect for natural rhythms. The rhythm of breathing in and out is reflected in its indoor activities followed by outdoor activities...and its outward energy sessions (playing around) and inward energy sessions (handwork)... In and out...at a constant and balanced flow.
And the rhythm of the year is honored as well, as each season is given its due attention and appropriate activities. When the weather is nice in Autumn and Spring, the class enjoys a nature walk at the end of the week, while in cold Winter they opt for a rest time complete with blankets and story time instead. Every day they are outside, be it hot and sunny or cold and snowing/raining. They really embrace the old adage "there is no such thing as poor weather; only poor preparation". So all the children don their hats and gloves and rainpants and rainboots. And they have a hand in the preschool garden, where they help make real changes happen, be it planting bulbs or transferring fresh soil into the plots. There are also a lot of sweet stories told, sometimes with the aid of beautiful woolen puppets, that are so endearing, and told repetitively so that the kids memorize them and can call upon them whenever they want.

Meal time has to be the sweetest part, where they enjoy homemade bread and butter along with a hearty soup that rotates between lentil stew, peas porridge hot, and vegetable soup depending on the day. Miss Christine engages them with a story while they eat their meal and they practice basic manners like table etiquette, please-and-thank-you, not interrupting and more. The way this woman can get twelve children to do as they are told without fail -- be it sitting and quietly listening to a good 10-minute-long puppet play, or stopping their play and picking up all the toys strewn across the room -- is jaw-droppingly impressive.

I could go on and on about this school, it really is like stepping into a magical world. I swear, Ella Rose was a nice enough girl before, but Peach Blossom has instilled this quiet and focused energy in her that I appreciate very much. And having gotten to spend the day there to join in on their in-class birthday celebration, I feel like I've absorbed some of that quietness at least for the day. I wonder what I'd be like if I could have that every week! :)

Anyway, I see that I have written something of an essay here, so on with the photos!

Blowing out the candles on her cake.

I wore wings and entertained William. There's a glimpse at the sweet play kitchen the kids have at their disposal.

Okay, so Dash didn't take that many shots. I don't blame him: it might not have been appropriate to be flashing this camera off during the quiet celebrating. Not to mention Waldorf is definitely a little more conservative about the use of electronic technology and such. At least, that is my understanding and what my observations have shown me. Instead of plastic, there are toys made of natural materials, and "old-fashioned" (tried and true!) avenues for play are alive and well as they have to call upon their imagination to play house and even fill in the faces of their dolls (they are left blank for that purpose).

It was lovely how Ella Rose was definitely the honored Birthday Girl for the day, but the attention wasn't so lavish that it might make her uncomfortable or shy. Oh! I should also note that on a classmates' birthday, all the children are asked to bring an offering in the form of something from nature to give. So Ella Rose got to collect in her basket pretty rocks, a feather, different flowers, and even a sea shell from all her friends. Such a sweet collection and so representative of that age -- finding beauty in the simple things and knowing that the best gifts come from nature!

I think I've raved about Waldorf and Peach Blossom long enough.
If you have a kiddo who is not of preschool age yet, but you are looking around, I highly recommend this school. The families that it attracts, I have found, have values in line with my own and can offer even greater wisdom on things I want to know more about like gardening, making pants out of old sweaters, and more! A great community all around.

And now for a random photo of William from the day before:

Guess who's been listening to ballet music...A LOT? ;)

And that's all for today.
Phew, what a doozy of an entry!
Hope you enjoyed it and if you have any questions about her school or anything like that, I'd be happy to attempt to answer it for you - heh!

Until next time, take care and Happy Peach Blossoms!!

1 comment: