Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Radical Homemakers

Hey there~!

So this post is about a week overdue.
I finally finished Radical Homemakers, which is feels like I'd been reading since some time in Winter @_@
I can't remember which friend inspired me to read it, but I know at least two ladies who have read and recommended it. And with good reason!

Here is what I have to say about this incredible book:



Radical Homemakers looks at a number of different Americans in their quest to "reclaim domesticity from a consumer culture" from varying situations (old, young, East Coast, no kids, totally off-grid, living in L.A., etc. etc.) and explores how we got where we are; why we might want to consider reclaiming some kind of "domesticity" (or more importantly, break away from this consumption-based culture); and how to go about it.

I especially liked the second half of the book that covers how to go about pursuing a life of a radical homemaker, because it didn't give some kind of step-by-step program of what particular activities to engage in or classes to take. It was more about the mindset. The perseverance it takes. The mental hurdles to overcome to look at our lives and ask ourselves if we are really living in tune with our values. I also liked that the author, Shannon Hayes, was very realistic about the realities that come with a more "outside the box" lifestyle as the ones described, where it's not all "feed the chickens in the warmth of the rising sun while the children are happily setting the table for a wholesome breakfast of homegrown oats and Papa strums a merry tune on the banjo" (this isn't a direct quote from the book, just something akin to what she wrote). It's hard work, where a clean house probably isn't going to happen, energy levels take dips, children bicker and refuse to cooperate, and convenience food will be resorted to. I just really liked that realistic and forgiving look at the whole picture of these "radical homemakers".

And all in all, it inspired me to challenge myself to do more for my family and for my community not through dollars earned/spent but through fostering friendships, building skills, and finding the good things in life that are free. That's why Ella and I got our (tiny) garden started, the Clothing Swap stepped it up a notch, and I have my eye on more urban gleaning this summer!

If you are interested in all things anti-consumer culture and pro-DIY, check out this book.
I would like to recommend this for a Book Club -- but first I have to join one, right?? :D

What have you been reading these days?

Until next time, take care and Happy Radical Homemakers!

1 comment:

  1. I'm part of a mommy book club that meets (usually) on the first Friday of every month. We read one book per month and the babies (and kids) get to play together. Let me know if you want more info. :)

    ReplyDelete