Monday, July 15, 2013

Doll Workshop

Hey again, all!


So, carrying on from yesterday's post about giving you a rundown of the past week's events, I'd like to share with you about the Doll Workshop that I attended on Friday.

From L>R: me, Erika, and Linda!

It was held by my good friend Erika Schoell, a fabulous German lady I met through the Corvallis Newcomers Club. She's like the embodiment of Zen herself -- so calm, and insightful, and unruffled as a placid lake's surface. She's one of my favorite people here in Corvallis :)

Anyway, for the past 30 years, Erika has been teaching people how to make beautiful handmade Swiss dolls using imported supplies through these intimate little workshops. You can learn more about her and her dolls at her website here.

Erika's baby shower gift to me for William was a certificate to one of these workshops, so I finally cashed that in on Friday and joined two other lovely ladies to make a doll of my own!

The little hands...
It involved a lot of stuffing and sewing, and it was nicely paced and sprinkled with fun conversation and a great lunch to boot!

The end product was a doll that I made in Ella's image :)

Just like my brown-eyed, and brown-eyed girl ♡
  I was so proud of the finished product and really fell quite in love with the little doll, even though I have never really considered myself a "doll" person. :) Of course, this little gem turned that all around.
The dress was a one-of-a-kind one, made by Erika!

Ella Rose was also quite excited about her little present and immediately went to go play with her upstairs for a long time. She has named her "Chibi Ella Rose" ♡

Ella playing picnic with the little doll. :)
But I was pretty crushed when I discovered that she'd taken it upon herself to give Chibi Ella Rose a haircut that has resulted in a mullet kind of look, and reminds me of the evil girlfriend from "The Wedding Singer". Wah. ;_; Ella likes the new look, but it makes me want to use that doll's shawl as a bandana over her head...
The other lady has quite an extensive collection and made a boy doll.
So yeah, it was a happy time and now we have a new member to the family -- Chibi Ella Rose! ;)

Would you be interested in handmaking a beautiful doll too? It could be for you, or for your little one! You should contact Erika on her website and maybe do it with a group of friends, for even more fun!

I hope you've been inspired, and until next I see you, Happy Doll Workshops!! :D

1 comment:

  1. Hi, do you have erikas contact information? She was my moms next door neighbor her in Danville california. I wanted to let her know that my mother passed away. Lourdesmb8@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete