Friday, July 19, 2013

Visit with Kathy-neechan :)

Hey, all!

So this is a very belated post.
I'd like to share with you the splendid time we had with my sister and bro-in-law a couple of weeks back while my mom was visiting.

As you may recall, at the end of June, my mom visited for a week -- during which we made an impromptu trip down to San Jose to surprise my sister with a visit! It was a ten-hour drive in her rented Prius, and I swear those cars are just golden. Especially for long rides with children! And when I say "surprise my sister", I mean we literally did not let her know that we would be coming over, so that she was completely shocked when she saw my mom standing outside the window Saturday morning. :)

The purpose of the visit wasn't only to let my mom see Kathy, since it was the rare chance that she was on the west coast, but to also belatedly celebrate her marriage. As I posted here, it was something of an "elopement" as there was no wedding, no family invited, nada.

So when we dropped by, it was also with a festive celebratory kinda plan too! :)

My mom ordered a delicious mini wedding cake from a local bakery:

The surprised couple!
And there were flowers put in a vase, as well as wedding gifts bestowed. I got her a big ol' crystal to bring more rainbows into her life...little did I know that their home gets no direct sunshine through the windows! So we'll have to see how she rigs it up to make rainbows.

It was exceedingly hot while there...

Tak'e basking in the constant sunshine...he came along too, naturally! :)

...so there was a bit of lazing around with minimal clothing...

I packed all these clothes for William...and he didn't wear a single article. Ha!
Tak'e would've never let Ella Rose do this to him! :D

...and a trip to a local lake as well!

It's not much of a photo, but it was a lovely time! :)

Dinner time was particularly swell, as we cooked up a meal that we then enjoyed on their lawn.

Kathy's eyes look a little spooky, but really it was a nice time!!

I think coolest of all was getting meet Martin's family since they are now officially part of the family! This was my mom's first time, and I think she and Baa (how Kathy call's Martin's mom) hit it up pretty well, even despite language differences.

Top Row (L>R): Meaghen, me 'n' William, Martin's Dad, Baa, Aba, Kathy, Martin
Bottom Row (L>R): Dash, Ella, Martin's bro...name escapes me now!

Martin's brother's a pretty nifty guy too -- worked hard and saved up so that he could retire by 38 (wow!!!) and now spends his days reading, learning, and maintaining this amazing garden. It's not just flowers, but real sustenance food including fruits of all varieties, berries, and veggies too! Very prolific and quite an inspiration.

William with one of his nectarines
"Nngaaaah"

That day that we met his family (Sunday), Kathy also treated us all to Vietnamese sandwiches. If you've never had one before, I highly recommend them! Such a satisfying meal in itself -- basically french bread sandwiching traditional Vietnamese fare. Good stuff!

There were also long walks taken, parks visited, games played, and just wonderful energy all around. :) I really like my new bro-in-law, Martin. He's chill and funny and smart, and obviously loves Kathy a lot.

Oh! I should also mention that Ella Rose and William took to Kathy like never before!!
William, for one, seriously kept confusing her with me and even trying to nurse from her! Repeatedly!! You'd think he'd have smelled the difference between us, or given up the first time nursing didn't work from her...but he was pretty persistent. Ha!!

And Ella Rose and Kathy-neechan (as she calls her) have gotten into something of a tradition of having a Fashion Show whenever she comes over. We held three and Dash even recorded them! Below is the first/best one, if you are interested in seeing it ;)


All in all, it was a blast. The two 10-hour drives were not only smooth but fun and informative as we talked and sang and played games. And it was good to celebrate the new happy couple. :)

I love my sister!!

My arms are freakishly long, as this photo demonstrates

And she'll be visiting in a few weeks!!!!!
Til then, take care all and Happy Visits!!

No comments:

Post a Comment