Monday, March 7, 2016

Sakura-con Coming Up!

Howdy howdy~!

So I just received some big news today.
It all started back in January, when I submitted three panel ideas to this anime convention up in Seattle, WA to see if they would be accepted and, therefore, grant us free membership for the duration of the con.

Well, just today I received word that they were all accepted, so at the end of this month the Dashiell family is going to Seattle for Sakura-con 2016!!! :D

http://sakuracon.org/


I'm so stoked because I've never been to Washington, let alone Seattle, and it'll be William's first con ever!
I can't say the same for Ella, because back in September she attended Kumoricon with me and Kathy-neechan when we went to do a panel too.
It was about us being manga translators and the panel went smoothly enough. Ella was mesmerized by all the clever cosplay (especially of the Pokemon kind), going so far as to participate in their Cosplay Bingo challenge where she had to track down and take snapshots of certain characters in order to win nifty buttons. If memory serves me right, she got a total of six by the end. BUYA.

Anyway, this time, Dash and I will be discussing the following three related-but-still-unique topics:

1) Breaking into the Manga Industry: our backgrounds that got us to where we are today
2) Lost in Translation: how/when to preserve very Japanese elements in manga while localizing it
3) A Day in the Life of a Manga Artisan: what our careers consist of in a practical way

I'll be working on putting together the contents of our panels over the next few weeks.
Oh! While also putting together the kids' cosplay outfits!!

That's right, Ella wants to go as chuu-Totoro...

This outfit is still around from when we made it for her 2012 Halloween costume!
...and Eevee.

So a humanoid version of this.

There are lots of really cute interpretations of Eevee cosplay that you can find online, and I'll be sure to share what we come up with.

As for William, he wants to be Link for the entire duration of the con, which is fine with me. :D
 I just have to find the pieces to put together an outfit like this:

I think William will look good in white tights ;)


Easy-peasy.
I look forward to scoring more 下敷き, giving away comp copies of some manga we have worked on, and singing in karaoke :D
We'll be sleeping in the camper, and William is so young he gets in for free too, so all we have to pay for is Ella's 50%-off membership. Buya!!

Anyway, I'll let you know more the weekend-of, but I just had to share the good news of what's in store in the coming weeks.

So yeah, if you'll be attending Sakura-con, let me know and maybe I'll see you there ;)

Until next time, take care and Happy Sakura-con Coming Up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment