Saturday, March 5, 2016

Spring 2016 Clothing Swap!!

Hi everyone!!!

Sorry for disappearing off the face of the planet for a few days there.
I was battling a mere head cold that was threatening to go full-blown by hunkering down, lying in bed while listening to a sweet sweet podfic.
Really, not that much to report about this past week. A couple deadlines (wrapped up in mere hours, wow!), some nice tutoring sessions, and "whatever" weather.

Then came today.
The Spring 2016 iteration of the Corvallis Family Clothing Swap!!!!

This photo does not do justice to the busy-ness that the event entailed.
It was was such a great big fun time :D
Made especially all the more popular thanks to the article in the Corvallis Advocate.
As always, I failed to do a head-count, but I think it's safe to say a couple hundred people showed up. BUYA.

A new addition to this Swap was the presence of a "thank-you note writing station" to give attendees a chance to thank our generous co-sponsors that keep the event the money-free frugal-fest that it is.

Little package...BIG gratitude :D

I pretty much had an assortment of different colored pens and slips of paper (salvaged from the OSU Student Exodus!) available for people to write their many different expressions of gratitude to show our sponsors how big an impact their support of the event makes. I will make sure it gets to the Corvallis Sustainability Coalition's Waste Action Prevent Team since I consider them the main sponsor so that they can read all the messages of adoration and thanks that our community has for them. It's the least we can do for them making this large space available for us and our seasonal cause. :)
Last time, I tried to do a digital e-card of thanks but it was harder to get people signing it, the interface was a little wonky, and this way they have a constant physical reminder of the good deeds they are responsible for.

My volunteer staff was superb and I really cannot thank these people enough for their dauntless energy and enthusiasm during the somewhat short but still intense event that it was. ♡♡♡

Personally, I was so busy greeting folks and bringing them up to snuff on the ins and outs of the event, that I didn't have much time to seek items for myself. However, I did have a second or two to snag some key pieces that are already my new faves:

Elven hat-scarf, anyone??

And Kathy-neechan is all professional now and needing blouses, so I rallied some friends to keep an eye out and they came up with a good dozen or so specimens that are sure to please her :)  So thoughtful of them!!!

Also, William and Ella are rather self-sufficient at these events now and Ella, in particular, procures outfits not just for herself but for her li'l bro too. Such a good girl! Below is a new outfit concocted from items procured today:

Love that gradient skirt and corduroy purple button-down!




Nice.

Every Clothing Swap I meant to take photos to record how awesome the event is, but I feel like I failed miserably once again!
If anything, I got some shots with my main ladies who are constant presences and have helped out tons in the past.
Firstly, the wonderful Miss Angel!

We both like purple a lot

I swear this girl lives up to her name and a complete doll. I love her and her little girl!!
Next is Miss Merrell!

I must say if I had to say I'm good at something it's at taking photos at arm's length

This lady does it all...with three children under 5 y.o.!!!! How???
Anyway, she is great.
And what's so cool to know is that these two ladies met through what...? The Clothing Swap!!
Times like this I wish someone could make a documentary about our little shindig here. Just a lot of beautiful relationships forming and acts of charity going on. Very cool.
 
There were also a bunch more people that I didn't have time to shoot "selfies" with, but I hope they all know that I love them too!
So much dedication, and energy and selflessness with this event. This community is the best, honestly!!

Anyhoozers, I have a lot of thank-yous to write, and some kids to put to bed!
Ella's having an impromptu sleepover with dear Clara so I have to make sure they sleep noooow.

Til next time, take care and Happy Spring 2016 Clothing Swap!!

No comments:

Post a Comment