Saturday, May 11, 2013

Tomato Plants!

Howdy, howdy!

Gosh, what a generous community I live in!!
This is the summer I told myself I'd have a garden, and as you saw from that last post, things are slowly but surely coming together with it!
Then, this past couple of days, we've received some new additions to our plot:
tomato plants!!

Four tomato plants and one cherry-tomato starter (off-screen) :)

It's all thanks to the generosity of my two neighbor-friends, Brooke and Katrina.
They are such green thumbs, and get so many starters from seeds that they give them away to friends! What sweeties, right??
I planted them in the back, behind the workshop, where we used to keep the chickens because:
a) it actually gets lots of sunlight back there
b) the chicken poo in the soil ought to make for very fertile ground, right??

That plot had been all but abandoned, and when I finally ventured back there earlier this week, I discovered that it was awesomely overgrown with weeds. I must say, in my novice kind of way, I really enjoy pulling weeds. Especially well-established ones. Ha!
But man, there was this one kind of weed that even brushing against it gently would send all these little sproingy seeds shooting out in every direction!! Even into my eyes!!

Master (Mistress) Gardeners, out there: what is that weed called?? Really, though, what a clever method of dispersing seed, right?

Anyway, here are some close-ups of the starters that I hope will grow into something awesome! :)



And if/when they produce plump juicy tomatoes, I am going to do my part to add to the cycle of generosity and give them to my friends in turn.
Hurrah, for Gift Economy, right??

Well, wish me luck and until next time, Happy Tomato Plants!!

No comments:

Post a Comment