Sunday, May 5, 2013

William's Balaclavas

Hey all~!


So man, today it was in the high 80's, possibly even hitting 90 degrees! Woo-ee!
And yet, I'd like to make a blog post about a piece of clothing that is definitely not suitable for this kind of weather:
William's balaclavas

Do you know what a balaclava is?
I never did, until I entered the Peach Blossom community. Most of the children from the former class have these adorable little hoodie-like headgears that are like a hat, earmuffs, and a neckwarmer all wrapped in one. Pretty much they protect the whole head, except for the face. So nifty, effective, and cute! It wasn't long before I started longing for one.

One "Peachy" mama in particular, Emily, was kind enough to offer to let me trace one of her balaclavas in the attempt of making my own version at home...but you know how life gets in the way of such projects, hm?

So instead, Emily surprised me with a homemade balaclava for William's first birthday! You've seen it before on this blog when I talked about Yogurt Extreme:

I love the dark blue color~
It's technically a little big for him, because it doesn't hug is face very closely, but I just love it to bits~! Before the weather really turned hot, it was our go-to gear for all outings. And will continue to be so for a while since he can always grow into it anyway! :)

It's made of fleece, as opposed to wool, but works just as well to keep him warm~


Being the seamstress that she is, the bigness of the balaclava was nagging at Emily, so she up and made another one for William to experiment with a different style and perfect her technique! Go Emily!! ♡

Reminds me of Spiderman's first attempt at a costume, right??

Wasn't that so sweet??
This one is made of cotton and is all ribbed, with the stretchiness like a t-shirt.
It's definitely snugger around his face, so it'll keep all wind and cold away from his ears, and he's less apt to pull it off like he is his blue one. Either way, I love it just as much!!

I think Emily should start a little business of making these balaclavas for the local community, because if I remember correctly most of the Peachy families got theirs from abroad (?) because they are so much more common for children to wear in places like Norway where they have those outdoor schools and such.

Do you wish your kiddos had balaclavas to protect their heads during those damper chillier Oregon months? If you're interested in having a talented seamstress craft one to fit your child's head, drop me a line and I'll get you in touch with Emily. I know it's hard to think about cold winter gear during a "heat wave" like this, but preparation is key, right??

Well, take care and I hope you enjoyed this little "fashion show" of William's Balaclavas!!

1 comment:

  1. I had a knitted pattern for this saved on my Ravelry.com site. :D Love it! So nice! What a cutie too.

    ReplyDelete