Thursday, May 23, 2013

Wool Soaker Pants

Heydee, ho there~!

Today I got some long overdue crafting done for William...
They're wool soaker pants that he can wear over his cloth diaper to keep the wetness from wicking onto everything he sits on.

He looks a little dumbstruck/taken by surprise
I was having William go mainly cover-free so that if he wet his diaper I could know right away, signal it to him to reinforce the connection, and then change it promptly (all in the spirit of E.C.)...but William pees and poos a lot more than Ella ever did (or at least if feels that way) so this coverless method was leading to many a mishap that Dash ended up having to clean up.

So!
We are back to covering him up a bit more. Plus the weather's taken a turn for the chilly -- brr!

You may recall that I've knitted some in the past, but when Ellie Rose told me that she crafts pants for her kiddos out of old sweaters, it struck me that there must be sweater-altering wool soaker solutions out there.

Hellooooooo, Pinterest.
This is the tutorial I followed to make the pants.
(And this is a tutorial I followed to felt the sweaters the best way possible. Highly recommended!)

The sweaters were scores from thriftstores -- I pretty much always keep an eye out for 100% wool items even when I don't know what I'm going to do with them. They're just so versatile and valuable!! And as the tutorial said, it didn't take me long at all~! They fit great, have some extra length to accommodate his inevitable growth, and do a fine job keeping William dry (feeling).

I discovered a tiny hold in the sweater (hence why it was in the thriftstore, probably) so I patched it with some leftover fabric like such:

He never knew I was taking a snapshot of his butt -- ha!!

William's lookin' pretty pleased in his new britches, uh-huh!

Uh-huyuck!

I'm aiming to make at least three more. And I already have one 1/2-way done, so off I go~!

Well, that's all for now.
Until next time, take care and Happy Wool Soaker Pants~!

1 comment:

  1. Awesomeness! I wish I had your craft skills and speediness!

    ReplyDelete