Friday, February 8, 2013

28 ¾

Hello, Dolly!


That's right, we watched "Hello, Dolly!" again tonight for what must be the family's 153rd time.
We seriously love this movie, and watched it a lot immediately before and after William's birth. I will always have that "new baby" feeling when I watch this movie, I swear...

Anyway!
I (re)realized that the character Cornelius Hackl is 28 ¾...and that's just how old I am now!!
And I was born in Yonkers, where he lives and works -- coincidence??

Most lovable goof ever

As he says in the movie, there are some things he's never done before and ought to by his age:

Cornelius: 28 ¾ years old and I still don't get an evening free. When am I gonna begin to live? Barnaby? How much money have you got?
Barnaby: Huh?
C: I mean, that you can get your hands on?                 
B: About three dollars. Why?
C: Barnaby, you and I are going to New York.

B: Cornelius, we can't. Close the store?
C: We'll have to, cos some rotten cans of chicken mash are going to explode.
B: Holy cabooses! How do you know?
C: Because I'll light some candles under them. They'll make such a stink that customers won't be able to come in for 24 hours. That'll get us an evening free. We are going to New York and we are gonna live. We're gonna have a good meal, be in danger, get almost arrested. And we're gonna spend all our money.

B: Holy cabooses!
C: And one more thing. We are not coming back to Yonkers until we've each kissed a girl.
B: Cornelius, you can't do that. You don't know any girls.

C: I'm 28 ¾. I gotta begin sometime.

Aaaaah, gotta love that Cornelius.
What he said got me thinking about my own status at 28 ¾. Have I done all the things he wanted to do? Let's see:

[x] Go to New York
[x] Have a good meal
[x] Be in danger
[x] Almost get arrested
[  ] Spend all money
[x] Kiss a girl

Not too shabby!
I think the closest I got to "spending all my money" was when I took out all the money in my account to buy a couple of original pages from Hopeless Savages: Ground Zero by Bryan O'Malley back in college.

Maybe someday they'll be valuable...?

Since that was back in college, there probably wasn't that much money in my account, but I'm pretty sure I completely emptied it out for those pages. I was a devoted fan of Radiomaru to say the least.

Anyway, back to "Hello, Dolly!" -- I have to say it was one of my all time faves, right there along with "Groundhog Day" and "Kiki's Delivery Service".

Great music! Great dancing! Great costumes!! Dancing waiters!!!

Yes, please.

If you haven't watched it yet, you can catch it on Amazon Prime.

Until then, enjoy and Happy Dolly!!

No comments:

Post a Comment