Sunday, February 17, 2013

Great Weekend & Ramblings

Hiyas~!

Wow, what a wonderful week and weekend it has been.
I must tell you about what we've been up to.

Okay, firstly William's walkingness.
It's been a little under a week since he started taking his first steps, and it's all just so riveting for me!!
I mean, when it comes to babies, there are those "milestones", right?
And after the walking one...there's not that many left!!
Running, maybe. Talking, definitely. And then?? They're not really babies by then at all.
Feeding themselves, giving hugs & kisses, giving up naps, getting out of diapers, eventually weaning...
It's an interesting thing, the specialness surrounding the babyhood of your child.
Such a fleeting time, that in the midst of the hardest parts can feel like an eternity, but that we all cherish for being just that -- fleeting.
For finding babyhood so precious, so much of our language around it is geared toward them growing up and out of it: "Is he crawling yet?", "He's fitting into 12mo clothes already!", "We're down to one nap a day", etc etc.
There are things I love about William being a baby...but I must admit I am also always looking forward to him being less of a baby.
For instance, I love his generally agreeable nature (he'll wear whatever I put on him, no argument!) but it will be nice when he doesn't rely on me so much (being held constantly, for instance) and I can get things done in my life that are "important".
Gaaaah...there I go again, wishing away his babyhood in favor of things that are "important"...which I will probably wish I had never wasted on time so that I could savor this more!!


@_@

Anyway, so William is walking in a very stilted and funny way, but you can see the gears turning in his mind as he tackles problems of balance and momentum on his little "jaunts". This evening, I'd say he traversed a good eight feet. Throwing out one leg, reeling a bit from a bout of imbalance, steadying himself, and then throwing the other leg out. One in front of the other, in a less-than-graceful way. But getting him where he needs to go!

Also, last night (Saturday) was really very special for the whole family.
We decided to throw all sense of schedule and rhythm out the window and attend a "Turning 30!" birthday bash that started at 8pm. Most social functions we go to, barely go until 8pm!
Both kids had some wakeful times and some sleeping times, but it just felt so good to celebrate such a big year of our good friend, meet new folks, catch up with others, and (best of all) get to the party and back on foot.
I swear, when we're not venturing outside our house after 6pm, it can be easy to forget that we live in a college town!! The sounds of house music thrumming through flimsy apartment walls, gaggles of long-legged college girls making their way to their next party...and a random siting of college guys dressed in red dresses jogging down the street.
Loved it!!

Then today we deep cleaned the house for another set of friends coming over for...you guessed it...brinner!
Are we on a roll? Maybe.
No joke, though, I have a "hit list" of people to have over, because I am through with always only saying I'll have so-and-so over, and not actually doing it. Hopefully, that ends now. :D

Anyway, we had the good Putman folks over for a delightful evening where I got to learn a lot about them and have many a good laugh. I hope some day William and their little James actually play together!
At the rate things are going, that will be all too soon me thinks.

Well, that was a long and pictureless blog entry. But thanks for sticking it out and reading the whole thing.
Wishing you an awesome end to an awesome weekend, and Happy Ramblings!

1 comment:

  1. Aww! We made it into your blog :)

    Glad you were able to come out and celebrate with us!

    ReplyDelete