Friday, February 22, 2013

Kanga

Greeting again!

First, let me tell you that we have completely bounced back by that nasty bug that hit! Really, it was just a 24 hour or less issue. 24 hours for Dash, more like 18 or so for me. Not bad!

And you can see what I chose once I started feeling better:


In particular, I want you to notice that blue "shawl" I'm wearing. It's actually a kanga that my mother got me while visiting my brother, George, during his Peace Corps stint in Tanzania.

Khangas are really nifty pieces of fabric. They're basically a rectangular colorful piece of fabric that you can use for one a myriad of uses: decorate a wall, lay over a table to protect it, wear as a skirt, fashion into a sling to carry a child, wrap around your head for warmth, and more!

Here, I'm wearing it as a shawl. I've really been into wearing shawls more, ever since my 2012 Resolution inspired me! Around the waist is my favorite way for a splash of color and that much more warmth...
 But wearing them around the shoulders has only been reserved for low-activity occasions (going out to dinner, etc) and not so practical for around-the-house and playing-with-the-kids kind of days. The reason being that they would always slip off!
But then, I saw Soule Mama's blog entry about her knitted shawl, and was struck by the genius of tying it behind your back!!







And hence a whole new chapter on shawl-wearing commences...
You can't see it in the in photo above so much, but that is what I've done with my kanga. Tied it in the back~

Anyway, another thing about kangas.
What's particularly interesting about kangas, to me, is how they always come with a Swahili saying of some kind. Mine says "Uchungu wa mwana aujuae mzazi" which means "A parent has the ultimate feelings for her/his child".
Couldn't be more fitting. ;)

Well, that's all for today.
Hope you are doing well and try wearing a shawl or two! It can really spruce up your wardrobe with a very versatile piece of cloth.
Until next time, take care and Happy Kanga!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chrissy,

    Terry Franklin here, from Amherst & science fiction circles, back in the day.

    Thought I would try to track you down... along with any others I could think of who had gone out to California (though at this point, it looks like you've moved north a bit from there).

    The reason is, my cousin Sarah has just graduated from college, and is moving to LA to get into the movie or TV business. She did an internship last summer with NBC Sports, doing film editing. That is her specialty, though people have told her she has a unique deep gravelly voice for a woman, and might want to try voice-over.

    Didn't you do something like that? Doing English in place of Japanese on Anime?

    Anyway... just checking in the very very unlikely chance you had some connections in the media world of Southern California.

    My email is terryfranklin@yahoo.com

    Hope things are going well with you.

    Thanks.

    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love Soule Mama! And that quote fits you so well. Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete