Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Skirt...Revived!

Hello again!

So I am feeling bounced back from my low mood yesterday.
Maybe it's this bit of homemakery I get to share with you today. :)

Truth be told, I did this a couple of weeks ago but haven't gotten around to sharing it with you.
But here it is:

Skiiiiirt
You're probably wondering, "Okay, what's the big deal with this skirt? Did she make it from scratch??"
The answer would be no, I didn't.
But I did mend it after many years of it waiting in the attic for me to brave its many rips and tears.
This skirt has a fair bit of history which I will share with you now:

To be honest, I'm not quite sure how I came to own this skirt, but I'm pretty sure I didn't pay for it. That doesn't mean I stole it! It means I probably procured it from a Free Box at college. Or maybe a friend? Who knows. Aaaanyway.
This skirt was my best friend for most of the end of my pregnancy with Ella Rose, and my primary go-to piece of clothing up until she was about 5 months old.

Especially when Ella Rose was 3-4 months old. That was the month when we put all our belongings into storage, packed our car only with the necessities (including all of her cloth diapers + diaper pail!) and wandered up the West Coast until we reached our home of Corvallis. A month-long endeavor where we scouted many a small town, relying on our iPhone to feed us information on different destinations via Wiki, and traveled as far north as Portland. But it was Corvallis that called to us most -- with its "small size" (relative to L.A.!) and higher education, it was perfect. :)

Anyway, I wish I had some photo evidence to show you just how attached I was to this skirt. I wore it every day, cross-legged in the back of the car with baby Ella Rose, and in our new home too as we unpacked and got to know the town.

It was all fine and dandy, until some time during our second week in our new home that we went to a park with our dog, Tak'e. Maybe it was his newfound freedom and the novelty of this unknown terrain, but he got so wildly excited that he decided to "play" rough and chomp onto my dress, yanking at it until it got torn up pretty bad!! >:(
I was pretty upset, but still very unsteady with the sewing machine so I just washed the skirt, folded it neatly, and stowed it away in the attic.

That is...until now! The tears in the skirt were no big deal in the end, and I revived it in like 5 minutes!
Maybe you'll see it around town and think, "Hey, there's that skirt that I know way too much about!" :D
And maybe you have a piece of clothing like that too. That has some kind of problem with it (tear, stain, etc) that you are procrastinating getting around to fixing.
Well, if you do, I hope this post inspires you to finally tackle it because it's probably not that big a problem to deal with anyway! :)

Until then, take care and Happy Reviving!

1 comment:

  1. I've done this too many times to count!! Often times it's just a button I need to replace. Since I have my knitting pouch equipped with needle and thread, I rarely have the excuse anymore about dragging my sewing stuff out. One time Kris had 4 pairs of pants awaiting repair for like 6+ months! It feels good to just get that baggage out of the way and get it done! Good for you! Lovely skirt and I can't wait to see you wear it.

    ReplyDelete