Thursday, January 17, 2013

Camper Cushions Commence!

Woooord~

So! I'm sure some of you already know this, but for almost a year now we've been the proud owners of a 1982 Toyota Dolphin!
That's right, a camper~
So retro, but surprisingly reliable and fun!

The Dolphin parked by the beach down in SoCal during our trip in June

 But, as you can expect with any camper from the 80's, the interior cushions for the dinette and sleeping areas were in pretty foul shape. Not only was the original material scratchy and that barfy brown-orange plaid print, but somebody along the way must've owned a mutt or something, because some pieces had been damaged to the point that the yellow foam on the inside was exposed/coming out, etc etc.

Dash also repainted the walls from a dark brown, to more of a creamy color~

So!
Thanks to an extremely talented friend of mine from the Newcomers, MariAnna, I am on route to reupholstering the entire interior!
We got the new foam pieces cut at the local "Foam Man" shop (great name), and the fabric from Joann's. It's a dark brown color, which we chose for hiding possible (a.k.a. inevitable) accidents as can only happen in a camper inhabited by little ones. ;)

One piece down...5 more to go!
I've never sewn something so complex and useful!
It has a zipper for easy removal for washing. I've never known so much about zippers in my life!!
They really are an amazing invention - ha! 
But anyway, by doing the upholstery myself, I'm thinking we'll be saving a pretty penny indeed. Yay for DIY!! 
  
Chillin' under the carport in the hamock~

Well, I predicting a pretty slow turnaround for this project, though my goal is early summer so that we can start roadtripping in it again :)
Until then, wish me luck and Happy Reupholstering!!

No comments:

Post a Comment