Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Homemade Waterproof Mittens

Hey, everybody!

So, every since Ella Rose started preschool this past September (Peach Blossoms -- so great!!), there's been one thing gnawing at me...
The list of supplies included "waterproof mittens" because the kids play outside come rain or snow or what have you. And the kids want to be comfortable, right?

But being so frugal, I kept putting off purchasing waterproof mittens in the hopes that a) I'd stumble upon a pair at a thrift store, or b) be gifted a pair.
All to no avail.
So for the past term, Ella's been making do with the knitted pair I made her (not at all waterproof) and sometimes borrowing a pair from the preschool's emergency stash... Which I've felt pretty bad about~~

Then it finally dawned on me: why not make some waterproof mittens??
And the way I went about it was quite simple!

1) Start with Ella's knitted purple pair

Remember these bad boys from my 2011 rundown? Aaaaw, yeah~


2) Trace them onto the leftover material I used to make her rain pants (also purple~) but add a good inch or so around it for depth and all that.

[I didn't take a photo of this step]

3) Cut out, line up (wrong sides touching), and sew up around the sides

I'm not that good at making curves on my machine yet...
 4) Flip inside out and stick over the knitted mittens

Nice 'n' puffy.

Done!
Maybe it will rain tomorrow and Ella can test them out and tell me how well (if even) they work!!
Wish us luck~!

Until then, Happy Waterproofing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment