Friday, January 11, 2013

The Last Supper Exhibit

Howdy~!

Today was a big ol' day.
First, I finished and sent off a translation.
Then, I accompanied Ella Rose to her gymnastics/tap/ballet class from noon until 2pm.
On the way home, both she and William fell asleep so I just puttered around the house not really being able to do anything on account of the sleeping baby on my chest.
It was 4pm by the time they woke up, so we had tea, beat Bowser in Super Mario Bros. WiiU, and then go ready to go to a reception for an art exhibit.

The artist whose work was being shown was the lovely and talented Julie Green.
I've worked with her in her art classes on my occasions and she even lives in the neighborhood! :)

This particular exhibit is called "The Last Supper" because it's her rendition of prisoners' last meals before they are executed by capital punishment. It's blue paint on white dishes, and the gallery who hosted it this evening was a building that was originally a church, The Arts Center right next to Central Park. It was very compelling to have such a controversial subject matter showcased in such space.


It really got me thinking:
Why do newspapers publicize the last meals of prisoners executed? It seems so perverse to me. Are they doing it for the families' sakes? Is it one last nod to the prisoners?
And if I had one last supper, what would I choose?
How can these prisoners stomach the mere thought of food with their death at hand?

It was interesting to see that the majority of meals tended to include meat, typically of the fast food variety (pepperoni pizza, hamburgers, etc).
Julie shared with us a story behind one prisoner's meal. The prison guards knew that the prisoner had never had a birthday cake of his own, so they got him one with his last supper request...



I was very happy to have been able to attend a showcase of a local artist and especially one of such potent subject matter. Ella Rose was absolutely wonderful...William was oblivious and yelly.
Oh, well. All in good time.

The exhibit will be up for a time yet, so if you live in the area, I highly recommend you check it out.

Until then, Happy Art Appreciating~!

No comments:

Post a Comment